Christmas is a season of hope, joy and peace. Jesus is the central reason that we celebrate this joyous time of year. The gifts, family time, food, etc. mean nothing unless Christ is in the center of it. He is the light that came to a broken, dark world. In this study, we will see how in the midst of darkness, a light came to us from heaven. And that light is Jesus.
The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine. –Isaiah 9:2
- God uses Isaiah to prophecy the coming Messiah. God promises his people that he will send a King to save them.
- The people of Israel had endured many hardships and those who were faithful were looking and waiting for him to come.
- They had lived in darkness and were awaiting the light of the world.
- Are you waiting and anticipating that light this Christmas season?
Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod. About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, “Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose, and we have come to worship him.” –Matthew 2:1-2
- The time had come when God sent his son to be born into this world. The three wise men that came from the eastern lands were following the star that God had placed in the sky.
- The star was so bright amidst the darkness. Christ is our light in a world of darkness.
- Are you worshiping that light this Christmas?
So when Mary and Joseph came to present the baby Jesus to the Lord as the law required, Simeon was there. He took the child in his arms and praised God, saying, “Sovereign Lord, now let your servant die in peace, as you have promised. I have seen your salvation, which you have prepared for all people. He is a light to reveal God to the nations, and he is the glory of your people Israel!” –Luke 2:27-32
- Simeon was a faithful man of God and he was eagerly waiting the coming of the Messiah.
- He fulfills Isaiah’s prophecy when he says “he is a light to reveal God to the nations.” (v. 32)
- God is always faithful to his promises. Just as he was to Abraham, Jacob, & David, he fulfilled his promise by bringing the light of heaven to a dying world of sin.
- Are you eagerly awaiting for God’s glory and fulfillment of his promises?
Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” –John 8:12
- How amazing is it that Jesus confirmed everything that God, Isaiah, and Simeon had spoken.
- Jesus says if we follow the true light we won’t have to walk in darkness.
- If we follow the light we will have life in Christ. We will no longer live in the darkness of this world.
- This Christmas, are you wrapped up in the hustle & bustle of the season or are you celebrating the true light from heaven?
Take some time to ponder everything that God did for you during this season. He sent his son as a baby to grow up and show us what it really means to follow. His life on earth is our light that we can follow. And we have a hope of salvation because he became our ultimate sacrifice. Never forget the true light of Christmas and our faith: Jesus.